Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Thoughts on New Literacies...





New literacies encompasses the need for students to have the ability to read, write and participate in the internet.  New literacies are made up of five major components.  These include identify important questions, navigating new information, evaluating the information, synthesizing it and finally communicating answers with others properly.  For students to have success in new literacies they must be able to complete these five "steps".  Navigating the world 


As if there aren't enough demands placed on students and teachers these days now one of the literacies added to our already jam-packed reading and writing curriculum is involving the internet and world wide web into daily instruction.

I already mentioned in my first post I teach at a Museum Academy which focuses a great deal on hands on, project based learning (PBL) that allows students to take control of their own learning. Much of what was discussed in NETS Standards for Students was centered around this idea.  Students are use creativity, innovation, collaboration, communication, problem solving and decision making strategies to name a few. Of course, this is a lot to expect from six year olds. Yet, considering my students are already engaging in much of these activities already I feel they're up for the challenge.  The standards mentioned for students are simply skills that students will need to have the rest of their lives, so in my opinion, why not start practicing them when students are young?

Richardson (2010), states skills such as research, analysis, organization, and synthesis as some of the skills students need to be successful. Being a teacher I have a huge responsibility to provide my students with a safe space to conduct their learning.  I have the opportunity to foster an early love of learning about the world in an interactive manner. The NETS Standards for Teachers state that teachers are facilitating, inspiring and student learning and creativity as well as assess them in their work. I would love to build upon the NETS Standards for Teachers and learn how to assess them using contemporary tools.

One way I could do this is by seamlessly integrating technology and more specifically iPAD use in to our upcoming poetry unit like the teacher did in the iPAD video on the weblog Integrating Technology.  The 1st grade teacher had the students listen to a poem then draw a picture or write on the iPAD what they visualized while listening. This not only allowed students to practice an important skill of visualizing but afforded them the opportunity to be creative and use technology to express their thinking. I would love to do this with my students. Yet, with only two iPADs for my class (and I'm not complaining because I know we are VERY lucky!) and twenty students this is not feasible...any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Using technology must fit in nicely with project based learning! I have wanted to learn more about and implement project based learning in my classroom but am unable to based on the districts current demands.

    I completely understand what you are going through with a lack of resources (ipads). Maybe you can use them as a literacy station and students can rotate through. If you have a great deal of parent support in the classroom maybe they can work with small groups.
    -Rosina

    ReplyDelete