Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What Makes a Museum Academy Star Student?...A 1st Grade Digital Story

Before reading on...know that this is a COMPLETE work in progress and I have lots of work to be done on my digital story. So far, I have audio recorded my students reading their writing, placed a song in the background and played around with the volume a bit. So far...it's a little tricky.

I started this digital story hoping to remind my students what the four pillars of our school (respect, responsibility, kindness, and safety) stand for. They have been going through what I like to call the "Mopey March-es", that time of the school year where they forget some of the rules they need to follow and start bickering with each other over pretty much anything and everything.  As a teacher who spent a good majority of the first weeks of school laying the ground rules for the classroom I found myself getting frustrated when students were forgetting how to act towards one another. I think this project will be a good reminder to my students as to what they should and should not do in the school to act like a "Star Student". I can't wait to finish the video and play it for them!


5 comments:

  1. Even though you say it's a "work in progress", I would say that you have made tremendous progress. This video is excellent and I really enjoyed watching it. I have no doubt that the final product will be superb. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea, Sam! This is absolutely precious :) I love to get a peak into the minds of our littlest guys who have such an innocent and genuine worldview. What a great way to promote your classroom community and student accountability. I can't wait to hear how your kiddos respond to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that your video revolves around the ideas of your students. Given the purpose of this video, I think the fact that it is your own students' voices and drawings, means that they will each really take something away from this video. I'm sure they'll be really excited to hear themselves when you play this video for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having the students read is a wonderful idea. I think this would also be a great way to end the school year. Your students can share messages to next year's class about the highs and lows. This is so easily tied in with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, so far you've got yourself a great video!! I love that each of your students has composed and illustrated part of this video...it's great to see what first graders are capable of!!

    ReplyDelete