Monday, April 1, 2013

Digital Storytelling...What Makes a Museum Academy Star?


Finally, the finished product! I tweaked it until I just couldn't look at it anymore. But I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself (for making this video from start to finish) and mostly of my kids (for being so patient with me). I am also proud of their work because it really was student created and authentic to their developmental level. I introduced the topic and let them take control of what they wrote and drew. I believe that all students need to have projects that have parameters but really allow them to express what they think.

This project reflects the overall mission of Museum Academy. We focus on creating students that show the four pillars of respect, responsibility, kindness, and safety in all aspects of their school day. Every month we showcase students from each grade who show these qualities in an assembly in front of the school.

Originally I was hoping to show my students this video as a reminder of what behavior is expected on a daily basis because we were having a case of "1st grade growing pains" in March. Now, after seeing the positive response from my students I am hoping to show this video to the school at our next assembly so that everybody can see that my 1st graders know what it means to show all four pillars of a Museum Academy Star Student.

The video also relates to the curricular standards in 1st grade because we do quite a bit of social skill practice in our Second Step lessons. All four of the pillars are woven into the Second Step lessons which students participate in once a week.

4 comments:

  1. How adorable! This is a great example of the value of classroom community. The differentiation was built in and it was a task for all students to showcase their work and feel proud! I love the addition of background music, it was calm which fit the theme and did not take away from the students reading their work. Your principal will eat this up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I LOVE this digital story?! I am a big fan of giving students choice so that they develop ownership and accountability...your kiddos certainly provided adorable, developmentally appropriate responses for the four pillars of respect, responsibility, kindness, and safety. Not only will your principal be super impressed, but I can imagine that there might be other students/ teachers who are interested in trying out a digital story, too! Nicely done, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story on the four pillars and the direct involvement by your students really enhances the authenticity of the production. As you mentioned in class last night I hope that the entire school will be able to view your digital story as the entire student body would get much from it. Kudos on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you made sure to include the idea of all 4 pillars into this digital story. It had a nice effect that the students themselves created their own illustrations and wrote their own sentences. It's something you'll be able to use many times over, even in years to come. I thought this video was really well thought out.

    ReplyDelete