Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Animal Classifications Animoto Video


I love that creating an Animoto was simple, quick and creative. The concept of placing your own pictures and words into a template that already has the songs and background is fabulous! It's pretty much "iMovie for Dummies". I would recommend using this site to any of my less technology-obsessed friends and family members as an easy introduction to creating a video.

The Animoto I created is age appropriate for students in my 1st grade class. It is meeting students' needs because it is a visual representation of what they have learned so far. Seeing that my students are only 6 years old and I am teaching them and asking them to remember a lot of detail about each classification of animal I feel that the Animoto provides them with a wonderful tool to help their memories. Since starting this class I have also been trying to integrate more technology into my students daily lives so showing them this video allows me to increase their exposure.

The Animoto is specifically related to the content we have been learning in our Museum/Science unit. Students are studying what animals need to survive as well as about the different animal classifications (i.e., mammal, reptile, etc.).  This video allows students to see a visual and written example of each classification.

One of the standards under ISTE Standards for Teachers is that educators facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity.  I believe that showing students this Animoto video (as well as others in the future) broadens their horizons and sparks ideas for their own creations and creative outlets to share learning. As a Museum school we focus a great deal on Project Based Learning (PBL) and students ability to showcase their academic work in a creative manner. Tools such as Animoto help students to achieve this.

2 comments:

  1. Great music, awesome visuals, and appropriate timing. This Animoto will certainly aid your little guys in remembering some pretty tricky vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great production. I learned a lot from your Animoto and I assume that your little guys will really benenfit from it.

    ReplyDelete