Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Importance of "The Daily 5"


Literacy, Reading Language Arts, ELA Block, whatever you call it in your school this large piece of your curriculum drives your daily instruction from start to finish.

The Daily 5 can look different depending on what school you are as well as what grade.  Typically, it includes:

1. Reading to Self
2. Reading to Someone
3. Listening to Reading
4. Word Work
5. Teacher Work

This may seem like a lot to fit into a literacy block but in actuality it is pretty simple. With my 1st graders attention span being relatively short I try to vary up their daily activities (although I keep the same routine I try to spice up the tasks when I can!). At my school we include all five aspects of the Daily 5 in our Teacher's College Reading Curriculum. Students read to themselves during independent reading as well as to their reading partner for 5-10 minutes a day. They use iPADs, the listening center and the computer to listen to stories being read as well as to myself when I read books aloud. We complete a word work lesson every day focusing on short/long vowels, digraphs, blends, etc. and I run three leveled guided reading groups a day. All of this within a 90 minute block! It is a lot to coordinate but I see the benefit as my students' reading levels are improving and their confidence in reading soaring.

When looking at Tales of a First Year Teacher I found some amazing resources regarding The Daily 5. If you are at all interested in starting this in your classroom or making changes to your current instruction check out some of the links on her page!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled to hear that you put the Daily 5 into practice! Did it take a lot of planning/ modeling to get your kiddos practicing each of the habits correctly? Do you find that this set-up minimizes all of that busy work? Curious to hear your thoughts. Personally, I think the Daily 5 really does a nice job of contextualizing reading and writing within the literacy block. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete