Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What Most Schools Don't Teach


When searching for this weeks inspiration I came across this video on coding created by those at Code.org. Coding, put simply, is a language that people use while writing, designing and creating computer programs. It's the building block of a computers knowledge of what steps to complete to accomplish a task. I know, it sounds a little daunting, but this video puts coding into a simple, easy to understand format. I like this video for a few reasons:

1. It has all the famous "tech" people in pop culture explaining how they got their start in computers/coding

2. It shows really how simple coding is

3. It compares the ability and skill of coding to excelling in sports or any other hobby

Sometimes when thinking about all the technology we use on a daily basis it can all become a little overwhelming. But I found this video a little inspiring and made me think that starting my students with activities like blogging on a class blog can be the trigger that makes them fall in love with computers. Who knows where this passion and interest could take them!

1 comment:

  1. This is really cool! I have a friend who is job-hunting right now in the marketing industry, and she's shocked that a lot of her interviewers want to know if she knows basic coding (since most marketing involves computers these days!) I think unless you are going into computer engineering, most people don't think they will need it. The video puts it in terms that make it seem less intimidating and "only for computer nerds" - love it!

    ReplyDelete